Monday, March 19, 2012

I'm Bored!

It's the first official weekday of Spring Break and I've already heard the dreaded words at least three times.

"I'm bored!"

Really? All I've heard for the last two weeks is, "OMG! I can't wait for Spring Break! I'm so ready for Spring Break! Spring Break is gonna be soooo much fun!" At this point I'm not sure just what exactly they were looking so forward to. Apparently we' ve done all there is to do in the weekend before the break actually started. Can't I just send them back to school now?

My biggest fear is that this is a forewarning for summer--bickering, interspersed with huffs, checkered with eye rolling, followed up with It's-not-fairs! All topped off with the big I'm Bored!!!

I don't understand it. We have three computers, 2 Nintendo DSI's, 2 Wii systems, 2 I-phones, and 4 televisions. I'm pretty sure that somewhere within the dusty entertainment center lies enough games and movies to have paid for college twice. Then there's the bicycles, scooters, soccer goals and skateboards that make every pull into the garage a very tight squeeze. For those moments of extra desperation, we do have shelves full of Harry Potter books, the Twilight Series, and evener Hunger Games. One kid has an entire art studio in her room. Another kid has a personal Lego Land and the other, a library of Broadway musical show tunes (both sheet music and CD's).

Nevertheless, they are bored.

 I think "bored" might just by synonymous with "spoiled".
 
Never fear, kids! Here's the good news! You can not actually die from boredom. If you could, I'm sure your parents would have never made it to parenthood. I'm not sure how we survived with only record players, cassette recorders, maybe a bicycle or a basketball and only one land line phone that we had to share with our siblings AND our parents. We promise, you'll make it through the week.!

By the way, I've got a remedy for that boredom. So, go on. Say it one more time. Please!My bet is, by the end of the week, that entertainment center will be dust free! And so will the window sills and book shelves and end tables. Then there's the bathroom counter tops and under the beds... I think you get the picture.

3 comments:

  1. Thank God mine are grown. I used to assign tasks if they said they were bored. They were lucky though, we had a whole neighborhood of kids to play with. Of course I was the stay at home mom so they were all at my house, but none of them complained of boredom. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not bored. I was out picking up worms after the rain. They try to get away from the puddles of water standing over them. Let your kids do that for an hour or so. Then, you can all go fishing with your worms and you don't even have to keep the fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA! I'd have to be REALLY bored to go fishing! But the kids might like it. I did finally assign tasks. Yesterday was Clean Your Room Day. Amazing how they each suddenly had something else to do. I'll let you know how today goes. It's Clean the Bathrooms Day! Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete