Monday, November 8, 2010

Boobies in a Bind?

Do you love boobies? Do you advertise that fact?

It was a girlfriends' weekend with some new friends and it was a long drive to our destination. One thing I love about these long car rides is that women get to know each other very well, very quickly. We share personal stories of heartache and romance. We share parenting mishaps and miracles. We cry. We laugh. We bond.

There was once subject, however that split the group right down the middle, deeper than Double D cleavage.

Mom "A" told a story about her 14 yr old step daughter coming home one day with a "Save the Boobies" bracelet. The step-daughter got a tongue lashing and the offensive bracelet was immediately removed. Mom "B" gave a verbal high-five! Mom "C" laughed. She loved those bracelets. Mom "D" (that's me), laughed too. Of course. Don't I always?

Disclaimer and Digression: The use of alphabetical labels in the preceding paragraph has no relevance to each Mom's cup size. In fact, Mom "B" is probably a Double D while Mom "C" used to be an "A", but thanks to medical technology is now a "C". I'm actually a "C", too, but interestingly enough, Mom "C"-- with her skinny jeans, 3 inch heels, fabulous hair and general runway model appearance--well, her "C's" look a whole lot different than my 40-something, gravity fighting "C's". If you know what I mean. We all secretly hate her. But we love her too. Heck, we want to be her. Anyway, back to the story...

Moms "A and B" were not feeling the humor. In fact, they were offended by the shock value of the bracelets and agreed that they should be banned from middle schools. Moms "C and D" thought the bracelets were great and wanted to get some for ourselves, and maybe our daughters, too.

Later, when I thought back on our conversation, I thought about it from an educator's viewpoint. Should the boobie bracelets be banned? I guarantee you that just because a middle school bans any and all visible breast references, students still notice, comment on, and giggle over boobies. And all other unmentionable body parts. And they are spouting way more shocking phrases than, "Save the Boobies". So I developed a brilliant solution.

My kids' middle school sometimes holds Jeans Day fundraisers. The students bring at least $1 for the privilege of wearing jeans for the day. Everyone participates. What student isn't going to pay $1 to be out of uniform? Similarly, why not charge $1 for the privilege to wear the Boobie Bracelets? The school could choose a day during Breast Cancer Awareness Month, educate students on this devastating disease, and raise a little money for the cause. The students get to wear their bracelets (even if they still giggle a little while doing so) AND the school has taken away the shock value while doing their part to Save the Boobies. Everyone wins!

What do you think? I'd love to know your opinion on this one. If you aren't sure what to say, check out this video. It might make you rethink the "shock value" of a little Boobie Bracelet. (Don't worry. It's completely clean.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqxWhBZXF8Q

8 comments:

  1. As I sit here with my mom who is recovering from a mastectomy on Friday, I have to say I'm pretty passionate about the Boobie bracelets. However, I believe they should be worn with the knowledge of what they represent. I would have to say I agree with you. Make wearing those bracelets a privilege that maybe comes with a bit of awareness for the kids. I truly believe it's never to early to educate someone on breast cancer. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amy. I know when my mom and sister did the Breast Cancer Walk, there were giant Boobie Balloons and other humorous Boob references to keep everyone lighthearted and inspired. But breast cancer or any cancer should not be mocked, made light of, or used for teen rebellion. God Bless you and your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw one of those bracelets on boy at Taco Bell this weekend. Since I don't have a middle school-aged child, I was not familiar with them. However, given that it was pink I figured out the statement he was making right away. Statistically speaking, that boy has been touched by breast cancer. He, and anyone old enough to understand breast cancer, should be able to wear the Boobie Bracelets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Opps left wrong post, lol. I was repasting your link as it wasnt working on mbc for me! I am a new follower. I would love for you to visit me @ http://www.mommiesandbeyond.com and face book friend me too please! I can also be found on Twitter @ craftsexaminer (crafts examiner). Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 17 year old son & I went and got them together. I think people need to get over themselves and realize that the bracelets are for a good cause. He has met mixed reviews from teachers & students alike while wearing his bracelet. We are so standoffish about our bodies, regardless of what we think, our kids are going to learn about "boobies" and all the other unmentionable parts. They need to know that awareness brings solutions and if people are offended by these bracelets, my opinion is they've never been touched by the deadly affect of breast cancer. I posted me and my sons smiling faces as we purchased our boobie bracelets on my facebook page. Find a cure and then we'll stop wearing them,that's what I say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank for all the imput! I truly appreciate that you take the time to give your opinion. Have you heard of ZERO: The Project to End Prostate Cancer? It seems that this amazing dedication and drive to end Breast Cancer has inspired men to take the same initiative regarding another disease that is "innapropriate" to talk about. By making it ok to talk about our "Boobies", we may be saving the lives of more than just Breast Cancer patients. The awareness and research and cooperative fight borders on miraculous.

    ReplyDelete